We discussed securing Google, Microsoft and Yahoo! and Twitter accounts. Today we discuss securing Facebook accounts.
1. Logged into Facebook with your username and password
2. On the top right of the webpage, click on the dropdown arrow to select “settings”
3. On the left top end, select “security”
4. Click on “login approvals.” Note: Make sure your cellphone number is added to your account
5. Check “Require a login code to access my account from unknown browsers”
6. Click on “get codes”
7. Enter your password
8. You will received an automated message
9. Enter the code to confirm your login approvals
We discussed securing Google accounts before. You can reach that content from here. The following walk-through illustrates how to install two-factor authentication for a Hotmail account. These instructions assume you have the following: an Android smart phone and an alternate email address registered with your Hotmail account. If you don’t then don’t fret, continue up to Step 3 then follow the on screen instructions.
Step 1: Go to https://account.microsoft.com/proofs/Manage and sign in to your account. Once signed in, click on the ‘Set up two-step verification’ link.
Step 2: Click next.
Step 3: Select a method to verify your identity. (If you don’t have an alternate email address or Android, select the method that best fits your needs.)
Step 4: Download and install the ‘Microsoft account’ app onto your smart phone.
Step 5: Open the app and follow the on screen instructions to sign in to your account. After signing in, you will be asked to verify your identity by having a security code emailed to your alternate email address.
Step 6: Back on the website, select ‘Next’ to complete the setup. Optionally, you can proceed further to create an app password for use on any devices that do not accept security codes.
The next time you or someone else tries to log into your account from another device, an alert will be sent to your phone to verify the login is authorized. If not, reject the attempt.
Microsoft FAQ: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq